VPN Unlimited Review: Fast, But Not Unlimited for Everything [Pros & Cons]
KeepSolid Inc was founded in 2013 by Russians. It is based in NY and houses 120+ workers. No, it doesn't offer unlimited bandwidth. Read VPN Unlimited review.
Price Currency: $
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Utility
VPN Unlimited is a reliable VPN service that offers unlimited bandwidth and connection speeds on all popular devices.
Unlike other services, the KeepSolid VPN Unlimited offers users a one-off lifetime subscription fee – for complete unlimited access. We took an in-depth look at all the VPN’s features, including its privacy and security settings, to see if it’s worth the commitment.
In a hurry? Get the VPN Unlimited one-time payment for $199.99. If you are not sure about using VPN Unlimited for a lifetime you can purchase their monthly plan for $9.99/mo or the yearly plan for $5.00/mo.
- 1 Pros & Cons
- 2 VPN Unlimited Overview
- 3 About KeepSolid VPN Unlimited
- 4 Streaming Movies and TV Shows With VPN Unlimited
- 5 Using Streaming Devices With VPN Unlimited
- 6 Sign Up Now for VPN Unlimited
- 7 Features
- 8 Plans and Pricing
- 9 VPN Unlimited’s Privacy and Security Features
- 10 Technical Details
- 11 Customer Support
- 12 How Does VPN Unlimited Stack Up to ExpressVPN and CyberGhost?
- 13 Sign Up Now for VPN Unlimited
- 14 Does It Work In China?
- 15 Methodology
- 16 Wrapping Up
- 17 Sign Up Now for VPN Unlimited
- 18 FAQs
Pros & Cons
- 24/7 customer support
- No-log policy
- Lifetime payment option
- No multihop
- Some features are add-on only (with additional costs)
- Located in a Five-Eyes Alliance country
VPN Unlimited Overview
|Servers & Locations||3000+ in 80+ locations|
|Log Policy||No Logs|
|Encryption Protocols||IKEv2, Open VPN, KeepSolid Wise TCP/UDP, WireGuard, IPSec, L2TP, TLS encryption (depending on the device)|
|Supported Platforms||macOS, Linux, Windows, Android, iOS, Windows Phone|
|Routers Supported||Asus RT-N16 (Tomato firmware) |
Asus RT-N66U (Tomato 1.28 by Shibby)
Xiaomi Mi Router 3
|Simultaneous Connections||5 (with more available to purchase)|
|Split Tunneling||Yes (Android only)|
|Kill Switch||Yes (Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android)|
|P2P File Sharing (Torrenting)||Yes|
|Country of Registration||US|
|Dedicated IP||Yes (for an extra fee)|
|Smart DNS||Offered separately under KeepSolid|
|Free Trial or Money Back Guarantee||7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee|
|VPN Unlimited Website||vpnunlimited.com|
About KeepSolid VPN Unlimited
VPN Unlimited is part of MonoDefense, owned by KeepSolid. The service was founded in 2013 by V. Ivanov and O. Bocharnikov, with its headquarters based in New York, USA. The company has grown to include several products and a server network that reaches around the globe.
KeepSolid offers an all-in-one internet security bundle called MonoDefense that includes five security products including VPN Unlimited. These products include:
- VPN Unlimited – Ensure privacy and anonymity online.
- DNS Firewall – Filters out malicious traffic, offering curated and customizable lists of blocked or trusted resources.
- SmartDNS – Hides users’ real location and replaces their device’s DNS address with the server’s DNS, so users can bypass geo-blocks and content restrictions to enjoy their favorite shows, movies, and online services from anywhere.
- Passwarden – Password Manager.
- Authenticator – Two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your account.
Streaming Movies and TV Shows With VPN Unlimited
Streaming TV shows and movies with VPN Unlimited is a great way to enjoy your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
VPN Unlimited encrypts your internet traffic and hides your IP address so you can unblock geo-restrictions and access streaming services from any location.
Compatible Devices & Services
VPN Unlimited offers apps for several popular devices and platforms:
- macOS – Mojave 10.14 or later
- iOS – iOS 13.0 or later
- Windows – Windows 7 and higher
- Linux – Debian 11, Ubuntu 22.04, Mint 21
- Android – Android 7.0 and up
- Windows Phone – Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1
Streaming Services That Work With VPN Unlimited
Here are streaming services users can access with VPN Unlimited:
- BBC iPlayer
- Amazon Prime Video
- Hulu + Live TV
- Disney +
- HBO Max
- Sling TV
KeepSolid VPN Unlimited provides content in high definition, so users can enjoy their favorite TV series or new movies with the best possible viewing experience.
The service has a vast selection of lightning-fast servers located around the world, to ensure you always have the fastest streaming speeds possible.
KeepSolid offers more than 3,000 high-speed servers across more than 80 countries.
Its software analyzes the workload of each of these servers, to choose the least crowded one for each user so they experience the fastest connection speed.
By connecting to the optimal server in the app settings, you’re guaranteed the best server location for your current condition, so you can enjoy speedy internet without any interruptions.
VPN Unlimited offers several browser extensions:
Ease of Use
If you only need secure and private surfing, the VPN Unlimited app has you covered.
Open the VPN Unlimited app and connect with just one click by pressing the big blue “Start” button to be instantly connected.
Or you can select a specific location from an available server list in settings.
Using Streaming Devices With VPN Unlimited
VPN Unlimited is compatible with most TVs, including:
- Android TV, Hisense TV
- LG Smart TVs
- Samsung Smart TVs
- TCL Smart TVs
- Sony Smart TVs
- Vizio Smart TVs
- And many more
A complete list is available on the VPN Unlimited website.
The service also supports many streaming devices, such as:
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire
- Google Chromecast
Gaming consoles supported include:
- PlayStation (5, 4, 3, Vita)
- Xbox (One, X, S, 360)
- Nintendo (Wii, Wii U)
You’ll need to install VPN Unlimited on your router or share your VPN connection over WiFi via your MacBook to protect your game consoles.
VPN Unlimited comes with a range of standard and additional features.
VPN Unlimited offers users the following protocols:
- Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) – both strong protocols. IKE is an IPSec-based tunneling protocol that negotiates and authentically secures IPSec associations, while L2TP extends Point-to-Point Protocol to offer more features and is commonly used to support virtual private networks.
- OpenVPN – popular due to its open-source design, using the combination of SSL/TLS protocol and keys to create secure point-to-point or site-to-site connections.
- WireGuard – a newer open-source protocol that uses the latest cryptography and seeks to surpass other VPN protocols like IPsec and OpenVPN. Initially made for the Linux kernel, it is now cross-platform and suitable for widespread deployment. A cryptographic technique called TLS gives two interacting programs privacy and data integrity.
- KeepSolid Wise – a proprietary protocol only available for VPN Unlimited users. Its sole objective is to conceal your VPN connection in networks that forbid VPN usage.
While each of these protocols has its own advantages and disadvantages, they all provide effective protocols for safe data transmission over virtual private networks.
DNS Firewall can be paired with VPN Unlimited to block malware from attacking your device, by blocking known malicious websites, filtering malicious traffic in real-time, and blocking phishing websites ensuring online safety.
When a VPN connection is disrupted or fails, VPN Unlimited’s Kill Switch feature immediately disconnects your device from the internet. This shields your real IP address and location from unintentional disclosure as a result of the lost VPN server connection.
Without Kill Switch activated, you might not even be aware that your VPN protection had ended and would continue to browse on a standard, unencrypted ISP connection.
Kill Switch is useful for those requiring dependable privacy protection or who often use public WiFi hotspots.
Whitelist Trusted Networks
VPN Unlimited lets users add WiFi networks they believe to be 100% secure to the Trusted Networks feature.
The VPN connection will immediately stop when using one of these trustworthy internet connections, to avoid speed loss and preserve access to Local Area Network (LAN) devices.
VPN tunneling is a method for creating a safe and secure internet connection between two devices. It is employed to prevent unauthorized third parties from intercepting data sent over open networks like the Internet.
VPN Unlimited uses the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP), and OpenVPN to facilitate its VPN Tunnel. This provides a secure and fast connection to the internet.
Data logging is when a service collects and stores its users’ information.
Many VPNs log their users’ data without known consent, particularly free VPNs (though some paid services also carry out some level of data logging).
“All of our VPN Products follow a strict no-logging policy.
- We do NOT monitor, store, or log your online activities, including your browsing history, connection times, metadata, downloads, server usage, or data content during your session in the VPN Products.
- We also NEVER store or log your IP address after the end of your session in the VPN Products – we always remove your IP address immediately after your session ends.
- We do NOT request your full name for providing our VPN Products. You are only required to provide your email address when you register an account in our VPN Products with Registration.
- If you use the additional functionality called Virtual Private Servers (VPS) we may collect and store the total amount of traffic used and the dates of use only.”
It should be noted that VPN Unlimited hasn’t had its no-log policy audited by an independent third party, such as other premium services (including ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark).
Part of Five-Eyes Jurisdiction
The Five-Eyes Alliance is an intelligence-sharing agreement between the US, UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
Personal Static IP address
Setting up a clear and unique personal static IP address in the country of your choice enables you to maintain privacy and control over your online connection.
Using a dedicated IP address means you don’t share any browsing history with other users on the same VPN server, which can streamline your internet experience and prevent sites from recognizing your IP address as a VPN one and blocking it.
This means you can tailor your online experience and navigate the internet anonymously, all while utilizing the benefits of a dedicated IP address.
VPN Unlimited’s personal static IP address is a separate fee, costing an additional $14.99/mo when billed monthly or $12.50/mo when billed annually.
Personal VPN Server
A personal VPN server allows you to enhance your internet protection.
With uncompromised performance and unparalleled speed, a personal VPN server provides the strongest defense against any cyber threat. Plus, with no other users on the server, you can experience the fastest bandwidth and connection speed without congestion.
Avoid internet censorship by choosing a server location that satisfies your content needs, and enjoy the same online access as residents of that country. And, if you’re an avid gamer, a personal VPN server is the best choice for reducing lags and enhancing your gaming experience.
With a personal VPN server, you’ll never have to worry about your online security again.
VPN Unlimited offers users a personal VPN server for an additional $28.99 a month (billed monthly).
Plans and Pricing
VPN Unlimited offers its services in three main packages: monthly, annually, and lifetime. Here is a breakdown:
- 1 month – $9.99/mo (billed monthly). An extra $2.00/mo includes MonoDefense.
- 1 year – $5.00/mo (billed annually at $59.99). An extra $1.67/mo includes MonoDefense.
- Lifetime plan – $199.99 one-time payment. An extra $200.00 includes MonoDefense.
The MonoDefense bundle is a security bundle that includes VPN Unlimited, Passwarden, DNS Firewall, SmartDNS, and Authenticator.
With each subscription, users get to use VPN Unlimited on one device, plus an extra four for free.
If you need to use VPN Unlimited on more devices, you can increase the number of devices by up to 10 more for an additional fee:
- 1 device – for $0.99/mo billed monthly or $0.83/mo billed annually.
- 5 devices – $2.99/mo billed monthly, $2.50/mo billed annually, or $99.99 as a one-time payment.
- 10 devices – for $5.99/mo billed monthly or $5.00/mo billed annually.
VPN Unlimited offers a 7-day free trial to explore its features and functionalities.
Users can claim a refund within the first thirty days of starting a subscription.
You’ll need to email VPN Unlimited’s support team for further details and instructions.
When it comes to choosing a VPN service, you want something that is reliable, secure, and easy to pay for.
Offering a wide range of payment methods for customers, VPN Unlimited is committed to making the process as straightforward and convenient as possible.
Its payment options include:
- Credit card/ Debit card – Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Union Pay, JCB, Diners Club International
- Bitpay – Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Ripple, USD Coin, Binance USD, Paxos Standard, Gemini Dollars
- Amazon Pay
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Microsoft Pay
How to Cancel VPN Unlimited
You can cancel your subscription anytime before your next payment. You will still be able to use the VPN till your next subscription date.
There are three ways to cancel your subscription depending on how you made your payment:
- If you paid through PayPal, Amazon, PaymentWall, or Stripe:
- Log into your user account online using your KeepSolid ID and password.
- Click on your KeepSolid ID at the top of your screen and navigate to Purchase History.
- Locate your subscription on the list, click on Manage, and follow the cancellation procedure.
- If you paid through the Apple App Store:
- Go to the “Settings” within the app and tap on your name.
- Go to “Subscriptions”.
- Select your VPN subscription then tap “Cancel Subscription”.
- If you paid via the Google Play store:
- Sign into your Google Play Store account.
- Go to “Menu”, then “Subscriptions”.
- Select your VPN subscription and tap “Cancel”.
VPN Unlimited’s Privacy and Security Features
Here we’ll look into VPN Unlimited’s privacy and security features, such as encryption and server technology.
KeepSolid VPN Unlimited uses AES 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN, and Camellia 256-bit or ChaCha20Poly1305 encryption methods for IKEv2. 256-bit is the industry standard, used by the military and government.
VPN Unlimited provides a VPN server network of more than 3,000 high-speed servers in over 80 locations worldwide. This ensures you should always be able to find the perfect server for your needs.
A complete list of its server locations is available on the VPN Unlimited website.
Defense Against Malware
KeepSolid offers a comprehensive security solution for all your needs, ensuring that whatever data you send over the internet is encrypted and protected from prying eyes.
VPN Unlimited encrypts your data, so whether you’re using public WiFi or accessing sensitive information like personal passwords or credit card data, your data will remain private and secure. It also helps you maintain anonymity on any website, from any location, by disguising your physical location (IP address).
DNS Firewall, which is included in the MonoDefense bundle, can stop malicious programs by detecting and blocking suspicious domains.
Two Factor Authentication
With the introduction of two-factor authentication (2FA), KeepSolid’s MonoDefense has added an extra layer of security to safeguard your VPN Unlimited account.
2FA means accessing your account requires not only a password but also a unique code, making it much more difficult for unauthorized users to gain access to your data.
Let’s look at some of the more technical areas of VPN Unlimited.
How Easy Is It To Install?
Using VPN Unlimited on your streaming devices is straightforward. Download the relevant apps for your devices (and click “install” for desktop systems).
If you face any challenges, you can access step-by-step instructions on VPN Unlimited’s Manuals page online.
Setting up the VPN on a router is slightly different. Open your WiFi router’s settings, enter the VPN Unlimited configurations, and restart your router.
VPN Unlimited’s online guides have specific and more detailed instructions on how to install the VPN for different kinds of routers.
Does VPN Unlimited Work in Other Countries?
VPN Unlimited works in several countries including countries with some of the strictest online laws:
VPN Unlimited has a comprehensive FAQ page, containing more than 65+ pre-answered questions, which have been categorized and written in English.
Its website also includes manuals and instructions for each compatible platform and device.
VPN Unlimited provides personal support by e-mail or live chat.
To measure their response time, we sent over a few simple questions through both channels. By e-mail, we got a reply quite quickly (10 minutes), and the live chat was even more responsive (we got a quick and complete answer within a minute).
How Does VPN Unlimited Stack Up to ExpressVPN and CyberGhost?
Express VPN and VPN Unlimited both offer the same protocols and encryptions, including their own in-house developed protocols.
Express VPN allows up to 8 simultaneous connections, while VPN Unlimited allows up to 5, with the ability to add more devices at an additional fee.
Express VPN has a number of servers across 94 countries, while VPN Unlimited has more than 3,000 servers across over 80 locations, but only 54 countries. However, ExpressVPN is priced higher than VPN Unlimited.
CyberGhost and VPN Unlimited offer similar services, though CyberGhost has some advanced security features that VPN Unlimited lacks, such as Tor over VPN, obfuscated servers, double VPN, and diskless servers.
CyberGhost has a longer money-back guarantee than VPN Unlimited and Express VPN, as it offers a 45-day money-back guarantee compared to the 30-day money-back guarantee provided by VPN Unlimited.
Does It Work In China?
VPN Unlimited has a help page on its website that explains how residents or tourists in China can use VPN Unlimited while in the country to bypass online censorship and access blocked sites.
Offering security and speed through over 3,000 high-speed servers in more than 80 locations worldwide, with compatibility on most major platforms and devices, KeepSolid VPN Unlimited allows users to enjoy their favorite content from almost anywhere.
Though many of its additional features (such as personal server, static IP address, and additional devices) require extra fees, VPN Unlimited’s comprehensive security suite, MonoDefense, is a comprehensive choice for those needing maximum online protection.
The service is also worth considering by long-term VPN users, as it’s one of the few VPN providers that offers a lifetime subscription for a one-off fee.
With a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day free trial, it’s possible for anyone to try completely risk-free.
Is VPN Unlimited safe?
Yes, VPN Unlimited is safe. The service offers several security features to ensure its users remain safe online.
It uses industry-standard and military-grade AES 256 encryption and offers multiple fast and flexible VPN protocols, with the option to purchase two-factor authentication, a personal static IP address, or a personal VPN server for additional fees.
Does VPN Unlimited sell my data?
However, this policy hasn’t been audited or independently verified by an external security expert.
Does VPN Unlimited have a free trial?
Yes, VPN Unlimited offers a 7-day free trial for its VPN service. It then provides a 30-day money-back guarantee after purchasing a subscription, allowing users to request a refund within the first month of starting a subscription.
To access the free trial, users must download the relevant app for their device through the VPN Unlimited website. Once installed, they can sign up for the free trial within the app.